Homestead Exemption Program
This is a statewide program which reduces the property tax burden of qualified senior citizens and permanently and totally disabled homeowners, disabled veterans and surviving spouses of public service officers killed in the line of duty, by exempting some of the market value of their home from taxation.
You may qualify for a lower tax on your home if you:
- Are at least 65 years old OR
Are determined to be permanently and totally disabled OR
Are a Veteran who has been determined to have a total service related disability of 100% OR
Are a Surviving Spouse of a Public Service Officer killed in the line of duty.
- Own and occupy your home as your primary residence as of January 1st of the year in which the exemption is being sought.
- Qualify within the following income guidelines:
- $34,600 for 2021 (modified adjusted gross)
- $36,100 for 2022 (modified adjusted gross)
In order to receive the Homestead Exemption, you need to file by December 31st of the year Homestead is being applied.