An owner or operator is required to report a release or discharge under ORC 3750.06 anytime there is a release/spill of a regulated chemical which exceeds its assigned Reportable Quantity (RQ) and leaves the facility property line. The regulated substances subject to the release reporting requirements are referenced below.
Materials Subject to Spill/Release Reporting
- Extremely Hazardous Substances 40 CFR; Part 355; Appendix A and B,
- CERCLA Hazardous Substances 40 CFR Part 302; Table 302.4, and
- Oil (includes gasoline, petroleum, fuel oil, sludge, oil refuse, and oil mixed with wastes other than dredged spoil).
- The Reportable Quantity (RQ) for the discharge into navigable waters is an amount which causes a visible film or sheen upon the surface of the water.
- The RQ for the release of oil into the environment, excluding navigable waters, is an amount of 25 gallons or more.
- The RQ for the release of crude oil from an oil and gas extraction storage facility into the environment, excluding navigable waters, is 210 gallons.
Verbal Notification Requirement
The verbal notification to the fire department, LEPC, and Ohio EPA shall be made within 30 minutes (when practical) of knowledge of the spill/release.
Emergency Telephone Numbers
|Local Fire Department||Please Call 911|
|Cuyahoga County LEPC|
*Cuyahoga Emergency Communications System (CECOMS) maintains a Spill Line for Cuyahoga County to receive spill notifications for the LEPC
|Ohio State Emergency Response Commission||800-282-9378|
|National Response Center - If spill involves navigable waterway||800-424-8802|
|Northeast Ohio Regional Sewer District - If spill enters sewer system||216-641-3200|
Written Follow-up Requirement
If spill/release is reportable, a follow-up report is due within 30 days of the incident that provides additional information about the incident, per ORC 3750.06
The Spill Report Form can be used to complete the required written follow-up report. Be sure to save the completed form and email to LEPC@cuyahogacounty.us and SERCspillreport@epa.ohio.gov.Spill Report Form